Thursday, April 26, 2012

Her Supplements Now

I have stopped many of the supplements that I used to give Rossi gal. As I continue her raw feeding, I find that I'm starting to do away with her supps one by one.

These are the three remaining supps that I'm giving her now. 
From left to right:
'Nordics Fish Oil', 'Hyaflex' & 'Sang Hwang Lingzhi'
In the raw feeding sites I've been to, it is said that a good raw diet does not necessarily require supplementation, other than, perhaps a good fish oil for the omega 3. 

In order to obtain the desired level of omega 3 from raw fish, much fish would have to be fed, which could take up a substantial part of the diet and this is not ideal. The raw diet should ideally consist mainly or a large part of red meats, as our dogs thrive on them. As much as possible, it would be good to include more red meats (for eg. lamb, beef, pork, kangaroo & venison) to the diet.

Hence, the addition of fish oil to the diet would be a good way to obtain the omega 3 requirement. Feeding grass-fed meats is also another way to obtain omega 3. For Rossi gal, she gets her omega 3 from fish oil, grass-fed meats and an occasional serving of raw salmon.  

While I agree that a good raw diet is the main source of nutrition for our dogs, I believe there could be times, where some form of supplementation might be needed to give an added boost. Like for my Rossi gal, she has a joint condition, "Luxating Patella (grade 2)", so I give her a joint supp (Hyaflex) to aid in lubricating and maintaining her joints.

As for the Lingzhi, I have been giving it to her eversince that time, when she's diagnosed with demodectic mange. This is a supp I would continue giving her for general health maintenance, as well as the immunity boosting and cancer fighting properties. 

Concluding my post with an adorable pic of my Rossi gal, taken this morning. :D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment