Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rossi's Spay on Friday

My hubby and I have scheduled Rossi to go for her spay on this Friday at Namly Animal Clinic. It was a concensus between us that we would spay her in due course for health purposes. We have read up quite a bit on the pros and cons of spaying her before her first heat. For us, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. We want Rossi to live a long, healthy and happy life. We do not want to expose her to any major health risks.


One of my colleagues questioned me on why I am letting her go for spay and did not consider letting her have a litter before spaying her, as he believed in letting a dog give birth at least once before sterilization. I told him straight away that I do not want Rossi face the possible risk of major illnesses and as well as the risk of complications in child birth. I love Rossi too much to risk losing her through illness or child birth.


On the other hand, I am also aware of the risk factor present in every surgery. Though spaying is a routine procedure for the vet, it is still a major surgery, considering the risk involved and the fact that she is going under the knife. I have heard of recent case where a 6 month old doggie passed on due to some complication. It is really saddening and at the same time, worrying to hear of this. My heart goes out to this owner who had just lost her doggie, while I also worry for my gal who is going through the procedure. But this spay procedure is inevitable, as it is for her health's sake. Even if I do not let her go through the spay now, I would still have to let her go through it later in her life. If she goes through the spay young, her chance of reovery is higher, as compared to going through it at a later age.


But I have also read many successful stories of doggies having a smooth spay procedure and healing well. Still, I am worried for her. I hope my Rossi gal will have a smooth sailing spay. My hubby and I are behind her all the way.


We have also taken a week's leave to care for her after her spay. This also brought about another round of questioning from this same colleague. He asked why do I waste my leave to take care of Rossi, when I could just leave her at home to heal on her own? Needless to say, to him, Rossi is just a dog and he felt that I do not have to do so much for a mere dog. This really got on my nerves! I retorted back heatedly that Rossi is not just a dog to me and my hubby. To us, she is part of our family and when a member in our family goes through a major surgery, it is only right that we take time off to care for her. With this, he finally shut up. I could'nt imagine these words coming out from a fellow dog owner with two doggies at home!

Rossi, you are a strong gal. Daddy and Mummy will be there for you all the way! Aja Aja!!

No comments:

Post a Comment