Friday, September 30, 2011

Frozen Organs

Rossi gal dun like her organs (liver & kidney). Not sure why. I guess it could be due to the organs' texture or she dun like the smell. She is not a fussy eater and eats just about everything...with the exception of organs.

Actually, she is not the only one. I have heard of other furkids who dislike eating organs. There are some who like kidneys, but dislike liver or vice versa. Then there are also those who like eating both. Well, like us, they have their preferences too.  

Whenever I include organs into her meals, she would either eat them up grudgingly with some coaxing or leave them out completely. When she does the latter, I would proceed to pick up those slices of organs, open her mouth and shove them down.

This is a method I picked up from an overseas raw feeding forum, for those furkids who dun like to eat organs. I must say this is a fast and effective method. No fuss, No hassle. Just shove it down and close her mouth, that's it. I have been doing this for quite a while too.

Lately, I come to learn of another method in the same raw forum and decide to try it out. That is, feeding organs in the frozen state. I read that this is another good way to feed organs to furkids who dun like organs. There are some fellow raw feeders who shared that this method works well too.

Left: lamb kidney, Right: organic pork liver,
sliced up into treat sizes.

Each container is topped with a lid for freezing.


 Frozen organs
*Though the shoving method works well, I still hope she could eat her organs willingly (and it would be great, if she could enjoy doing so too). That's why I decide to try out the frozen method.

The first time I took one of these boxes out, she was actually quite excited and waited by my side expectantly. She must have thought they were treats. Well, she isnt wrong. I wanted to give these organ bits to her like treats.

For a start, I removed a frozen piece from the box, placed it on my palm and handed it to her. She gobbled up. Then I took another piece and gave her, she gobbled it up too. For the next few days, I continued feeding her organs this way, same, she gobbled them all up just like treats.

The frozen way works wonderfully for her. :) She likes her organs frozen. I will continue feeding her this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment