Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil

During the weekend, I got a jar of Extra virgin organic coconut oil for Rossi gal, on the recommendation of my fellow rawster fren.

Raw 100% Organic
There are several benefits to giving our furkids coconut oil both internally and externally. Just to name a few; Internally, it helps to improve skin & coat health, prevent /alleviate symptoms of arthritis and improve digestion. Externally, it is a good skin moisturizer and helps to improve skin & coat condition. When applied topically, it can disinfect cuts and promote wound healing. (*Note: Please choose to give unrefined or 'virgin' coconut oil, as it is made from fresh coconuts and retains most of the nutrients found in them.)

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/coconut-oil-benefits.html#1
http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf

I love the bottom line that says, 'Raw life-energy'.
The coconut oil has a refreshingly nice scent (at least, to me). I like it. It reminds me of the coconut candy that I used to eat when I was younger. Like Mummy, Rossi gal likes the coconut scent too. Last night, I splashed some oil into her meal. She kept smelling and licking her bowl after she finished her 'coconut-flavoured' raw lamb dinner. :>

The oil liquifies at room temperature.
A while later, I applied the oil topically on various parts of her body. She smelled like coconut candy for the rest of the night, while My hands smelled like coconut after applying the oil on her. Nicee...*dances round the coffee table to a catchy tune*

However, there are those who might find the smell a tad too strong for their senses. Daddy didnt take to the smell too well and found it kinda over-powering for him. Oh well...he gota get used to it. The coconut oil would be a new addition to her routine.  

2 comments:

  1. I would love to try this for yuki and rocket, anything organic and natural and I'm willing to give it a try. I just have a question... Can you bake and cook with it like a regular cooking oil? I like making treats, and for the most part I don't use any fat, besides peanut butter, but after reading all the benefits, I'm wondering if this is a healthy fat I can include in my recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can bake & cook with the oil. Its good for both humans and our dogs. :) I can imagine the nice coconut aroma from the baked treats.

    ReplyDelete