Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Turmeric Remedy

Recently, I noticed a protruding bump on the side of Rossi gal's vulva. For a few days, it was there. I tried cleaning it and applying some cream on it, but it didnt go away. I thought it looked like a cyst of some sort. It also seemed strange that it grew on such an awkward place; her vulva. @_@

The bump on her vulva, discovered on monday, 10 Oct '11.

Instead of rushing her to the vet immediately (as I know some would), I decided to monitor the bump for a while and do some reading up to learn more about cysts.

In the process of doing so, I came to learn about the use of turmeric as a cyst remedy in the Earth Clinic webby. I read about the experiences shared by owners, whose dogs have cysts that have seen improvements and good results when they added turmeric to their food on a daily basis for a period of time. Afterwhich, they continued their dogs on a maintenance dosage when their cysts have healed.  

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/turmeric.html

I decided to give the turmeric remedy a shot. Anyway, I have been putting a small dash of turmeric to Rossi gal' meals every now and then. All I have to do is increase the dosage of turmeric and add it her food daily.

I began adding 1/8 tsp of turmeric to her food everyday, starting from Friday, 
14 Oct' 11. 

In a week's time, on the night of Thursday, 20 Oct' 11,
the bump was spotted with Pus and it 'burst' later that night.


 This was taken on the next morning, Friday, 21 Oct' 11,
the bump had subsided significantly.


The latest picture that is taken this morning, Sunday, 23 Oct' 11,
the bump is healing nicely.

Turmeric has worked well for Rossi gal's bump. It took some time and some patience for the remedy to take effect, but it's worth the wait. :>   

I will definitely be continuing her on turmeric. For Rossi gal, it is a must-have in her diet, not just because it helped in healing her bump, but also for its beneficial properties. Organic turmeric powder

Sidetrack:

I'm not one who goes running to the vet straightaway for every single thing under the sun, for eg.diarrhea, vomitting or constipation.

I do not consult vets for nutritional advice, as I do not think they are the best people to seek advice from, for some reason. I do not think they could advise me too. 

I know my Rossi gal best and I can take care of her nutritional needs. I am her best nutritionist.

I do not believe every meal I give must be 'Balanced'. I believe balance in the diet is achieved over time. I do think the word, 'Balance' is over-emphasized by some. To me, 'Balance' is a concept instilled by the pet food industry, which I used to believe in, but Not anymore. Seriously, do we ourselves achieve 'Balance' in each and every meal we eat? Something to think about.  

I couldnt stand those who hang on to every word that comes out from their vet's mouth like their lives depended on it. @x@ Zzzzzz..... 

I do not believe in rushing my gal to the vet in the middle of the night just cos she had some diarrhea or vomitting, which could probably be resolved at home.

A couple of months back, Rossi gal had diarrhea that lasted more than a week, to be exact, two weeks. I didnt rush her to the vet like a crazy fellow. Instead, I monitored her condition and resolved her issue naturally. An episode of tummy upset 

However, I'm not saying, not to go to the vet when it is absolutely necessary. What I'm saying is, I do not believe in going to the vet blindly for just about anything and everything. Instead, I would practise my common sense and discernment on whether a trip to the vet is warranted.

A vet clinic is not a place where I wanna step into for no good reason. It's not a playground for having fun or socialization.  

That's all I'm gonna say. :P

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! A bump-cyst on her lady parts! I am like you, I also don't go running to the vet for everything. I try and wait for an appointment I had already scheduled, like vaccinations, and I'll ask my list of questions then. I'll keep this mind if this bump-cyst situations arises, from what I have read schnauzers are prone to 'schnauzer bumps'. I think it's called 'comedone syndrome', not sure of the correct spelling. But, it would be interesting to give this a shot for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally feel that turmeric is not just useful as a cyst remedy. A small dash of turmeric is a nice addition for spicing up the meals & for its various beneficial properties (for eg. anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, antioxidant, anti-microbvial, antiseptic and liver supporting properties).

    Also read somewhere that turmeric can be used as a "colourant" for foods. I do use turmeric for my curry dishes. It gives that orangey-yellow colour. It could be useful for giving colour to baked stuff too. :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an OLD thread, but it is the ONLY thing I have found talking about the same thing my 4 year old female shih tzu is going through. We have had 2 in the last month. I keep her clean and wash the bump daily, they burst and heal, and then about a week later she had another one.
    I am thinking grass irritations since she is so low to the ground when pottying. At first I thought insect bite..which it still might be. But she is in no pain and heals quickly... only bothersome thing is it happened again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, till now I do not know what the bump on Rossi's vulva is. It has been almost a year since I posted about it & till date, the bump has not recurred.

    Rossi does her potty indoors. I actually do not let her go near any grass area. Her bump is still a mystery to me.

    Personally, I think if the bump is not causing your shih tzu gal pain & that it also heals quickly, you dun ve to be overly concerned. Perhaps the next time u go to the vet, you might wish to bring this up to him/her. Or if you wish, you can try adding some turmeric in her meals to see if it can help.

    ReplyDelete