Saturday, May 14, 2011

An Update

This is an update to my earlier blog post, The Thyroid Test (& A New Discovery)

A Short Recap
Some thinning was noted at the front sides of Rossi gal's body, so me and daddy brought her to see Dr Ly for a thyroid test to ensure it was not a thyroid-related issue. Her thyroid results were fine. Dr. Ly then suggested that it could be a hormonal-imbalance problem, resulting from her early spay. (She was spayed at exactly 6 months of age.) He prescribed a natural progesterone cream made from Mexican Wild Yam to see if it could help her and advised us to apply a tiny amount on her every alternate day.


Update
I only used the progesterone cream twice and stopped after that, as Rossi gal was feeling kinda irritated on the areas where I applied the cream.

Besides, I didnt want to rely on the cream for Rossi gal, especially if this was for long-term...it just didnt feel quite right to me somehow. 

I decided to look into her diet. I wanted to see if there was any way I could improve her thinning condition through her diet instead. 

Subsequently, when I was reading some stuff online, I happened to chance upon an owner sharing about her dog, who was also experiencing some hair thinning. It was quite similar to what Rossi gal was going through.Then someone suggested that this owner could try increasing her dog's red meat intake to see if it could help her dog, as red meats are high in nutritional value.

Red meat nutrition 

I decided to try this out. Besides, Rossi gal also does well on red meats. 

I proceeded to increase her red meat intake, making it the main part of her diet. Eventually, I also switched her meats over to organic/grassfed/game ones. I made slight adjustments to her supplement intake as well. 

Over weeks, I maintained her on this routine.

It was not immediate. It was over a span of time. I started to notice her thinning areas were "not as thin" as before. Gradually, her thinning areas were beginning to cover up with hair.

I'm not really sure if the increase in her red meat intake had a part in helping her thinning issue...I'm just happy that she was getting better with time.

Before: Both sides of Rossi gal's body were thinning, but I only took the pic of the thinning on her right side. This was taken on 3 Feb'11. (The thinning on the left side of her body was quite similar to her right side.)

The thinning on the right side of her body

After: Below are two pics that I have taken on 11 May'11. They show both sides of Rossi gal's body that used to have visible thinning. Now both her sides look fine. :) 

Right side of her Body

Left Side of her body

No comments:

Post a Comment