Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rubie Eating Her Raw Quail Bone

For weeks, I have been feeding Rubie the chicken wing tip for her bone content. I give her 1 tip each week and it seems sufficient for her. I observed that bone requirement is quite low. She poops on an average of 3-4 days. Her poo is nice and solid so far too. I have also begun feeding her liver, but I didn't increase her bone intake. Despite this, her poo routine and texture remain unaffected.

As she is still quite new to bones, I will bash up the wing tip with a meat hammer each time before feeding her. Bashing it up helps her to eat it more easily. I wanna give her more time to get used to eating raw bones.

In fact, I'm already thankful that Rubie is willing to eat raw and able to take bones.

As Rossi gal is having whole quail today, I decided cut out a part of the quail to let Rubie try. I took out the drum portion for her. I fed it as it is, without bashing this time. I wanna let her try eating it as it is.

After weeks of bashing, this is the first time, I'm feeding Rubie bones without bashing. Besides, quail bones are quite soft (softer than chicken bones). I believe Rubie can handle it.

I offered the quail drum to her this morning. Instead of the soft, pulped wing tip tat she is so used to, now she gets a solid raw bone wrapped with meat.



Initially, she sniffed & licked at it, probably wondering how to tackle it. I tried to help her by holding the drum to her mouth and encouraging her to chew on it.

After more licks and sniffs, she finally went into action. She took the quail drum into her mouth and began working on it.

Video of Rubie munching her quail bone.
Link to video: Rubie eating her quail bone


Well done, Rubie! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment