Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Review of an Event

I have attended a recent event, where different speakers were invited to present their professional views and recommendations on various topics relating to pet care.

There were some things presented by certain speakers that I did not feel in consensus with. My Discernment Sensors were definitely up throughout the event. I will mention some of them here. These were the ones I felt more strongly about.

1) One of the speakers talked about medical care for our furkids. He emphasized the need for vaccinations. Though he did touch on the blood test for antibodies in furkids, he did not recommend doing so. Reason being, it's expensive, as the bloodwork needed to be sent overseas for the test. His stand was, it's cheaper to just vaccinate annually.

>My stand is, given a choice between annual vaccination and the Antibodies' Test, I would choose the Antibodies' Test (or "Titer Test). I also do not think it's "cheaper to just vaccinate annually". In my opinion, the effects of over-vaccination cost a whole lot more to cure than sending the bloodwork overseas for the test. Not forgetting the emotional stress  involved as well. I won't elaborate further on this. The debate on annual vaccination and effects of over-vaccination can be easily googled.

2) A question was posed to him. He was asked for his view on repeated vaccinations causing immunity to drop. His stand on this was, immunity will increase with annual vaccinations. If annual vaccinations were not done, immunity will decrease.

>Well, needless to say, this goes straight into my Trash Bin.

3) He mentioned a certain medicine, whereby one of the side effects was organ damage with continued use, but he stated that this applied Only to Humans, Not dogs. Dogs are not affected, so it is safe for dogs to continue the use of this medicine.

>To this, I have only one question. If it's not safe for us, how safe can it be for our furkids?

4) He also cautioned against being overly trusting in the information found on the internet.

>This one, I agree. But I would like to add, it is essential to use discernment in every piece of information, not just from the internet, but also from other sources, including (or especially) the professionals.

5) Another speaker took on the topic of Nutrition. She talked about the taste, shapes, sizes and types of kibbles suitable for various breeds. She also presented on the technology used to create the kibbles.

>Throughout the whole time, Nothing on  ingredients is touched on. I would have thought ingredients are an integral part of Nutrition. But instead, an analysis on each of the above aspects of kibbles is presented during the entire session. At the end of it, I have gained a fairly good understanding of the mechanics involved in creating a physically attractive kibble. So much for Nutrition.

I would say, for me, the best thing that came out from the event, would probably be the baggie stuffed with free gifts. And that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment