Tuesday, May 29, 2012

About Food

As much as we want to humanise our dogs, we must still recognise that their nutritional needs are very different from us. Their bodies are made to consume raw foods, not cooked or processed foods. Dogs need raw to thrive.

While there are still those out there, who do not recognise or accept or believe this fact, it is heartening to see more pawrents opening up to raw feeding. When I first begun raw feeding 2 years ago, raw was not a diet that was easy to accept. There were the usual unfounded & silly fears of bacteria, our dogs turning blood-thirsty and 'raw meats will kill your dog' etc stuff.

The pet food industry and vets have indeed exerted a strong influence on how many owners view nutrition for their dogs. I used to be under their influence too, but I'm glad I finally saw the light. If not, I could not imagine what would become of my Rossi gal now. 

Recently, I got to know some fellow rawbies. Like myself, they believe our dogs are designed to consume raw and they have also witnessed positive results in their dogs after going raw, like better coat, better teeth, better energy levels, etc. I feel happy to know and mingle with pawrents, who share the same ideals. :>

With these said, lately, I have also come across a variety of creative (cooked+processed) food concoctions that are meant for dogs.

Honestly, it really impresses me to know how creative some pawrents can be with their furkids' menu. The food look so yummy that if I didnt know better, I would have thought they are meant for humans. ;D

While I applaud their dedication and efforts in coming up with such a creative and colourful menu for their dogs, I personally do not believe dogs need these fanciful meals at all. Neither do I believe they provide the nutrition needed for dogs to thrive.

I do feel it would be more rewarding to invest this amount of dedication & efforts in reading up & feeding a proper species-appropriate (raw) diet to the dogs instead.

On a side note, the food does look appealing & delicious. If only, they are for humans. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment