Monday, April 22, 2013

Introducing Rubie, Our Raw-Fed Kitty

In February, I blogged about an unforgettable kitty that daddy and I met.

Fate led us to this special kitty. Now she is officially the new member of our family. :) Her name is Rubie. She is 9 years young and of course, raw-fed.


Rubie was on kibbles and canned food all her life. Now that she has joined our family, she will be on raw. No furkid of mine eats processed or cooked food. Raw is the only diet my furkids will be on.

Daddy wanted her name to start with 'R' like our darling Rossi gal. We then started to think of a name for her. Well, her ex-owner did not give her a proper name too. 

Eventually, I thought of "Ruby". Ruby is my lucky gemstone, starts with an "R" & also easy to pronounce, so I decided to call her "Rubie".


Rubie's Story:

We got to know Rubie's ex-owner during the time we were doing house-viewing to find our ideal new home. The first time we saw her, she was outside at the corridor.

Every now and then, she would wander over to the outside of the house to watch us, but she never stepped in. The ex-owner (an auntie) told us, she was not allowed into the house and she knows it.

For a while, she stayed in the house, but ever since the grand kids came along, the auntie was afraid that her furs would cause them allergies. Thus, she was made to live at the corridor.

The auntie asked if we would be willing to take her in, as they didn't want to take her along when they move away. Initially, I turned down, cos I was concerned about Rossi not being able to accept another furkid in the house. Her question also caught me off-guard at that point in time.  

I told Daddy about it. It set him thinking, cos he felt an affinity with Rubie from the first time he met her. It's strange. He does not like cats, but he likes Rubie.

We went back to visit Rubie for a few more times and began to feel concerned that auntie would abandon her to the SPCA or out on the streets if no one takes her. Auntie did mentioned to me that the thought of sending her to the SPCA did cross her mind, if no one takes her.

Daddy then expressed his wish to take her in. We had a long discussion about it. Based on our observations, Rubie is a very tame & quiet kitty. Her character is similar to Rossi gal too. Rossi dun get along with dogs, but things might be different for cats. Besides, we can always separate them if they really can't get along.

Thus, the decision was made. Rubie will join us.

On the day we went over to fetch her, Rubie seemed to know auntie didn't want her anymore and that she would be leaving with us. Daddy opened the door of the crate and was about to carry her into it. To our surprise, Rubie simply walked into the crate herself. Auntie was shocked too.


Auntie said a quick good-bye to Rubie, never thought of touching her even for the last time. When we got into the lift, Rubie started moaning tearfully. The moaning was heart wrenching.


She moaned and moaned all the way to our car and throughout the car journey. She looked so so sad. I cried together with her. Daddy and I kept reminding her she has a home with us. Auntie dun want her, but we want her.

That's Rubie's story.

Rossi gal is very curious about Rubie and kept looking into the room where she was. But Rubie is not used to Rossi yet. Neither is Rossi for her. They still need time to get to know each other. But they are not hostile towards each other and are okay with watching each other, just not comfy being placed too close together. Guess they just need time to know each other. In time to come, we hope they can be friends.


I gave her straight raw on her very first meal. In fact, I bought a couple of canned food, just in case I needed it to transit her to raw. At first, she hesitated at the raw chicken & lamb in her bowl, but eventually, she took a few bites of the chicken.

Then for the rest of the day and next, I continued offering her small servings of different raw meats, chicken, pork, beef and lamb.

We realized that she likes chicken. She would always finish the chicken first. Initially, she would only eat the chicken and leave the rest behind. But I continued offering the other meats that she didn't touch (pork, lamb and beef) along with the chicken.  

Then today, finally, she finished up all the meats I fed her. But she took a long time to finish up though. Also, she doesn't like her meats in big chunks. I gota cut up into small pieces for her. Probably tat's a cat thingy. LOL.

We are happy she can be switched to raw, cold turkey, without the use of canned food. Today is her 3rd day on raw. :)


Never in my wildest imagination that I would have a cat in my house. It's really so unexpected and feels so unreal. LOL.

Rubie is a sweet kitty, undemanding and gentle. I like her calmness. Daddy and I also think she looks pretty good for her age. :)

With us, it is the beginning of a new life for her. Henceforth, daddy, me, Rossi gal and Rubie will walk on together in our journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment