Monday, March 23, 2009

A Little Something About Me

I used to be extremely terrified of dogs, even miniature dogs like the Chi Hua Hua. Never in my wildest imagination, Never, would I ever ever think of owning a dog, because they scared the wits out of me !! I could even go weak in my knees when I could spot a dog a distance away (say a 100 metres or more) from me. When I had to go to friends' homes who had dogs, I would demand them to chain or keep their dogs away, if not, I would rather not set foot into their houses! My fear was so intense that I would choose not to go to any homes with dogs if I had a choice!

This fear in me began since I was young. At a tender age of 7, I started fearing dogs when I heard my teacher telling me in one of the lessons, that an injection would need to be administered should anyone be bitten by a dog. It was most likely the part about injection combined with the anticipated pain of the dog's sinking teeth into the flesh that greatly shaken me.(though I have never once been bitten by a dog.)

So, the question, what brought about my amazing transformation from a dog-Fearer to a dog-Lover? Read on to find out.

During the Chinese New Year, I made a resolution and it was to overcome my fear of dogs. How did I do it? My hubby had a cousin who owned a female greyish-white Schnauzer named Pepper. Every CNY, I dreaded going to visit at this cousin's house, because I was terribly scared of Pepper. I was literally perching at the edge of the chair/sofa and hanging on for my dear life everytime I was visiting there. Then the funny thing was, Pepper seemed to sense my fear and tried to inch near me at every chance she had and this set my pulse racing by the seconds! I had to scream for my hubby or his cousin to restrain Pepper like a mad woman on the loose!

For this CNY, it was different. I took several deep breaths and mustered my courage as I was walking closer to his cousin's house. My hubby was cheering me on, telling me I could definitely do it, as the dog won't bite. As I was nearing the house, I could feel the familiar weakening in my knees and it caused my strut to falter. My hubby made fun of me, saying that I was so adamant in overcoming my fear to the extent of appearing so brave, but when I actually had to do it, I went soft. At this point, I told him, no matter what I must do it, somehow.

I must admit, it was tough at first, because as usual, Pepper was at the doorstep, barking ceaselessly at me. (She can be a little too "chatty" sometimes.) I was abit hesitant to step into the house at first, but hubby gave me a nudge and I went in. Pepper was following me closely. We sat down and my hubby told me to stay still while Pepper sniffed at my feet soundly. I stood stiff like a soilder and felt Pepper's fur (+saliva) brushing at my feet. After a few minutes, Pepper turned and strolled off and for the rest of the time, she did not disturb me anymore. So that's all to it. (*Picture of Pepper is unavailable, as I didn't manage to snap a shot of her.)


The next stop, I went over to my friend's house with two Chi Hua Huas. One was a fair and fleshy male with neat short fur,named Mickey, while the other one was a brown and graceful female with fluffy long fur, named Wah Wah. These two doggies were very sweet. When I went into her house, they welcomed me with heartwarming gestures like snuggling up to me and lying on my lap. Their warmth really brightened up my day.


After this, I went on to another friend's house. She and her hubby had a male toy Poodle puppy, named Mocha. He was black in colour, with a lithe body and a cuscade of soft, naturally curled fur. Mocha was a very affectionate and energetic little doggie. The moment I went into the house, he leaped up to me and showered me with many licks of kisses. During my time there, I spent my time playing and petting him. When he got tired after the playing and running about, he would lie down with his mini paws stretched out on all fours and rest. I would take this chance to smooth my hand over his curly coat. Mocha was really fun to be around!

It dawned upon me that there was really nothing to fear with doggies afterall. They were warm and fun-loving companions. I also began to realise why so many people love dogs. At this point, my fear evaporated like vapours. I wasn't afraid of them anymore (with the exception of certain huge dogs whose size still intimidate me a little, but I could still be near them, knowing that they wouldn't hurt me).

So, this is the story of me conquering my long time fear of doggies and of course, the rest is history.

1 comment: