Monday, November 22, 2010

Meat & Bones

When Rossi gal first started raw, I put her on Barf raw, which included raw blended veggies. I believe veggies are a good source of vitamins. During her homecooked days, I included veggies too, but in the cooked form.

I understand that the addition of veggies in a raw diet is a controversial issue and I will not venture into it. My blog entry relates to my Rossi gal only.

Yes, Rossi gal does well on raw, but somehow, I just feel that she does better on meat and bones. On some days, when I omit the raw veggies, I find that she seems to do better. Therefore, I decided to try omitting raw veggies for some time and see if it really works better for her.

For the past 1 month, I gave her meat and bones, the usual supplements and occasional bits of fruits. The only thing that changed was the omission of veggies. Based on my observation, she does better on meat and bones (Prey Model). Daddy feels the same way too.

I have come across an article by a holistic vet with regards to natural management of Demodectic Mange, without the use of drugs. The article recommends that for furkids with Demodectic Mange, they need a raw meat and bones based diet. The veggies and fruits would be best omitted, but if they are to be included in the diet, it would be preferable to include them in moderate amounts and to use only low glycemic veggies and fruits (as low glycemic foods do not turn to sugar in the system easily.) It is also recommended that grains and yeasts of all kinds should be avoided in the diet. Why? Quoting directly from the article, "mites feed on the yeast living in the body, and systemic yeast feed on nutritional yeast and sugars (carbohydrates)".

Other than the article on Demodectic Mange, this holistic vet has also written other articles on various conditions, which I personally find very insightful.

I still believe in the goodness of raw veggies. But for Rossi gal, meat and bones work better for her, so I will continue her on a diet of meat and bones. My stand is, whatever works best for Rossi gal, I will do it just for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment